GELLI PRINT PACKING TAPE ART MAGNETS - HOW TO


Art Magnets Made With Gelli Tape Transfer Technique


Hi friends;

Here's a long overdue post for you on how I make those art magnets, using my gelli prints on packing tape.

If you haven't see the Gelli Arts video on how to make cool, arty packing tape with gelli prints, then go here first to see what I am talking about:

Gelli Arts Packing Tape Video

So, here are some photos of two of my Gelli plates with acrylic and dimensional paints.
 
12 X 14 Gelli Plate With Acrylic & Dimensional Paints

6 X 6 Gelli Plate With Acrylic Paints

And here is the tape I made from those two plates:

Gelli Tape - No Glitter Or Pearl Ex Powder Used Yet

Gelli Tape With Teal And Purple Glitter Added To Fill In The Sticky Areas

The tape was just about the perfect width for me to make backgrounds for my art magnets I create so often.  I use those sticky-backed business card-sized magnets you can buy at the office supply store.  They are 2" X 3.5" and are great for making small-scale art magnets.

Sticky-backed business card magnet blanks

All I had to do was peel off the white paper from the magnet, put the gelli tape on the magnet (remember, it's VERY sticky) and then trim the edges.



So now I have the backgrounds of the art magnets ready, what am I going to put on top of the Gelli tape?

I started by adding some of my doodly flower collage elements.  And then I added even more doodling on them with my Sakura Moonlight Gelly Roll pens (this step not shown).



Next, from my ever-increasing stash of stuff, I pulled some cute vintage-style graphics that measure about 1" X 2" and which I had already put under those sticky-backed resin pieces you can buy for such purposes.  They are great to use for making pendants and domino art.  I believe these images came from Lisa's Altered Art.

Resin Blanks (left) and Vintage Images Under Resin (right)

I used some E-6000 (similar to GOOP) to adhere the vintage images that were now under resin to the magnet backgrounds.  Clothes pins held them in place until they dried.

And here are the finished pieces.  The scans really don't do them justice as they are very bright and shiny because of the packing tape and the resin.


If you go back to the top of this post, you'll see a couple of examples of another style of magnet I made using some sweet vintage images of ladies and their dogs, and with this same technique.

I hope you've enjoyed this little tutorial and I'd love to see what you create with your gelli packing tape.

Until next time ...

Joanna







8 comments:

Victoria said...

Loved these! Thanks for sharing!

Judy Anderson said...

Great tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing.

jasangel2511 said...

Fantastic ideas & tutorial!! Where do u find the clear resin pieces that go over the images? I've Googled but can't find anything similar.

Joanna Grant Art said...

Thanks so much, everyone. I ordered those resin things on Ebay a few years ago. I am not sure what exactly they were called but if you do a bit of searching for craft supplies and resin together, I am sure you can find it. If I find it, I will post it here, okay? Cheers! Joanna

toni said...

Lovely gelli art! And a great tutorial thanks for sharing x

akartisan said...

I get a lot of supplies from Candy Tiles2 at Etsy. She's a wholesale jewelry and crafts supplier.

akartisan said...

I get a lot of supplies from Candy Tiles2 at Etsy. She's a wholesale jewelry and crafts supplier.

akartisan said...

I get a lot of supplies from Candy Tiles 2 at Etsy. She's a wholesale jewelry and crafts supplier.