February's Art Abandonment Project

For the month of February, I will be abandoning more of my original, one-of-a-kind art magnets in my own and other communities.  I will be  travelling between Kelowna, BC, Calgary, Alberta and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and plan to have these with me.

These are miniature pieces of original art and each one measures 2.5" X 3.5" (see quarter in the photo for scale).

As I mentioned in my January post to our Art Abandonment Group (Facebook), magnets are great for abandoned art because they are easy to adhere to different surfaces that you might not otherwise consider as a suitable location for your art.  I have abandoned magnets on door frames, utility boxes (those big ones in public places that house city electrical connections or water shutoffs, etc.), playground equipment, the doors in public restroom stalls (inside, of course).  I try to make it a challenge for myself to find really out-of-the-way places to abandon magnet art.  It is SO fun to think how long it might be before someone discovers it and if only to be a "fly on the wall" to see the wonder on their faces when they find it.

I love art by stealth!!

Cheers!
Joanna





16 comments:

jafabrit said...

your magnets are WONDERFUL, and I would love to do a blog entry on the free art friday about you.

Anonymous said...

I am loving those birds with the striped socks. Thanks for my first smile of the day!

Jane said...

Love your magnets. What a joy for the person who finds them.

SFreer said...

what a fun project!! I can just imagine sticking some art to some random place for someone to find! and I LOVE your birds!! :)

Joanna Grant Art said...

Thanks everyone! The magnets are all originals created with recycled materials for the backgrounds. I got the funky birds from a seller on Etsy (sorry, I don't remember who, it was a while ago now) and funkified them further and then put them on the crazy backgrounds. I really like how they turned out. And, of course, I had to put quotes with most of htem. Cheers! Joanna

Donna said...

I love those birds with the long legs! They are so fun!!

Sandy S said...

Awesome Joanna! Were you on our flight from K-Town to C-Town perhaps???
Hugs,
Sandy S

Katie Waller said...

Your magnet keepsakes are wonderful! Love the birds!!!

Joanna Grant Art said...

Sandy, we were on a flight to C-town on Saturday, Jan. 26. Were you too????

stampsalot87 said...

I really do love these -- I think I am going to try to come up with some too. Where are you placing the abandonment information?

stampsalot87 said...

oh, I don't have a blog on blogspot, my blog is at

http://stampsalot87.wordpress.com

but logging into the google one was the only way I could comment?

Laura said...

I LOVE these! So thoughtful!

Joanna Grant Art said...

Stampsalot87, if you join the Art Abandonment group on Facebook, you can see the different kinds of information tags that you can choose from to attach to your art before you abandon it. A couple of the members of this group designed some tags we can print for ourselves and include with our art.

stampsalot87 said...

Thanks, Joanna, I am in the facebook group -- just wondered if the info was attached to the magnetic side. or how you attached it since this is going to be my project today....

Joanna Grant Art said...

Stamps, I printed the art abandonment tag separately on 8.5 X 11 paper and cut them out (I think there were ten to the page). Each magnet is in its own little clear glass bag to protect it and I just taped the tag over the front of the bag (the face of the magnet). That way, the back (magnetic side) is still useable for when I abandon it and the finder just has to lift the tag to see what they found.

Marlynne said...

Enjoyed your Magnets! It is fun to abandon art! Your welcome to visit my blogs too at http://mcreatesdaily.blogspot.com and http://preciouscottage.blogspot.com and http://wwwfacebook.com Marlynne Snare Folk Artist